It is hurricane season here in Southwest Florida, and we are just a few short weeks post, Hurricane Ian. Restoring life as it was before is in full swing. As life starts to get back to normal and people are back in their homes and life continues, you might start to see the effects of the salty storm surge waters the hurricane brought with it on your lawn. With debris scattered everywhere and fallen branches blocking pathways, it can be overwhelming to know where to start when it comes to caring for your lawn. But fear not; there are steps you can take to help restore your lawn back to its former glory.
As a resident of Cape Coral or Fort Myers, FL, you know all too well the destruction that hurricanes can bring. That’s why it’s important to have the plan to care for your lawn after a storm. Below are some tips from our pros here at American Allegiance Pest Control to help restore your Cape Coral or Fort Myers lawn to the pre-hurricane, green luscious yard you once had.
- Clear debris off of your property ASAP. If not, it can result in preventable turf damage.
- Water your lawn.
- If your lawn was drenched with salt water, increasing the amount of clean water you treat your lawn with will prevent damage from excess saline.
- Turn off your irrigation system for a week or two and water the area to ensure your lawn gets the right amount of moisture it needs.
- Do NOT mow your lawn after a hurricane.
- It increases the spread of fungal lawn diseases.
- Creates ruts on saturated soil that will hinder the growth of new grass
- Once your lawn is dry and you can mow it, you should consider mowing to the recommended height for the type of grass you have. It’s important to note mowing your lawn lower than recommended may result in weed growth and increased insect activity,
- Hold off on fertilizing
- Fertilizers have a high sodium content, so they can make matters worse after a saltwater flood.
- Balance the soil with gypsum
- Gypsum is a powdery mineral that will displace all those salt particles instead of replacing them with calcium. Make sure to water your lawn deeply after applying.
In conclusion, caring for your lawn after a hurricane in Cape Coral or Fort Myers, FL, is crucial in maintaining the beauty and health of your outdoor space. It’s important to remove debris, check for damage, and proper water and fertilize your grass. While these tasks may seem overwhelming, American Allegiance Pest Control is here to help.
Our team of experts has the knowledge and experience to assist with your lawn care needs, ensuring that your lawn is back to its beautiful self in no time. Don’t let the aftermath of a hurricane stress you out – let us handle it for you. Contact American Allegiance Pest Control today for top-notch lawn care services.